Monday, August 3, 2009

Dear Diary...

Dear Recording Diary,

Yesterday Dave, Kris, and I recorded a bunch of stuff on Geniuses and Absence. We made a lot of progress.

I spent a long time restringing and tweaking the bridge of the Flying V, and when I was done I couldn't really get a good sound out of it. I'm such a thumb!

I'm starting to think that pure nickel strings only sound good with single coil pickups. The pure nickels sound good with the single coils, but humbuckers sound too dull with them, and sound better with nickel plated steel.

I probably should have tried playing the V through the Super Reverb, as that amp has always delivered good tone when properly mic-ed. It doesn't sound as good as the Stang Ray in the room, but on record for some reason it often sounds even better.

I also lowered the tail piece on the Flying V, which I hope will help it stay in tune better. Maybe then Dave will start to accept it!

Can't we all just get along?

TTFN,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment